There has been a structure on the site of Watergate Bridge since medieval times. It formed the principal gate from the port (which has now dried up) at Chester.
The current sandstone bridge has been standing on the site since 1790.
The bridge is currently shrouded in scaffolding – allowing Grosvenor to complete our task of sensitive conservation and restoration.
Deconstructing and re-constructing parts of the bridge is like a jig-saw puzzle – we number all stone details accordingly.
Once we are complete – the bridge will continue to perform its function for the next hundred years or so.